by Marla Platt, AchieveCoach College Consulting
Parents of high school juniors: Congratulations! In a few short weeks you will attain official status as a parent of a rising high school senior.
While our juniors are currently focused on final projects, papers and exams, (and the joy of handing in the last of the bunch!) they also have an eye on the next important stage in their education: preparing to engage fully in the college process.
In preparation for moving smoothly through stages of getting ready to apply to college, by now your student should:
- have at least one result from the SAT or ACT
- be familiar with his or her transcript
- be aware of courses still required for high school graduation
- have already toured at least one college campus
- have several schools in mind to actually apply to
- possess an understanding of what target; reach; good bet admission possibility means for them
- engage in an honest discussion with parents about college affordability
Marla Platt, M.B.A. is an independent college consultant based in Sudbury, MA through AchieveCoach College Consulting, providing personalized guidance to students and families throughout the college planning, search and admissions process. Marla is a member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association and can be reached via www.achievecoach.com